This salad was inspired by one that I had a few years ago in Barcelona. Several of the ingredients, sherry vinegar, Manchego cheese and marcona almonds, are evocative of the tastes of Spain. Before adding the almonds, dress the salad and let it sit for about half an hour so that the vinegar can begin to soften the kale.
Ingredients for Salad
8 cups curly kale, finely chopped. (About 1 large head of kale)
1 cup shredded carrots
2 Fuji apples, cored and cubed into bite sized pieces
1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
1/3 cup Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
Ingredients for Vinaigrette
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. water
Tbsp. sherry vinegar
Tbsp. finely minced shallot
1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tsp. honey
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. To make vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil. Then, whisk in the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Wash the kale and spin dry. Cut ribs from leaves and then finely chop the kale.
3. Mix together the kale, carrots and apple.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Depending on the size of the head of kale you used, you might not need all of the dressing.
5. Let the salad sit for ½ an hour so that the dressing can begin to soften the kale leaves.
6. Sprinkle the Manchego cheese and almonds on the salad and toss one more time.
7. Enjoy! Depending on the size of the kale you used, this should serve 4-6 people.
http://juliapowersnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/150150p458EDNthumbphoto.jpg112150juliahttp://juliapowersnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/top01-1.jpgjulia2017-01-12 12:17:092017-01-12 12:17:09Barcelona Kale Salad